End of Life Software Policy for Sage 200 Extra Online
As you may be aware, Sage operate an end of life software policy for their Sage 200 Extra and Sage 200 Extra Online software. This policy means that Sage withdraw support for older versions of the software. For example, more recently, support was withdrawn for Sage 200 Extra 2010 on 31 October 2016.
Until now, Sage 200 Extra Online has not yet been affected by this due to it only being launched in 2013.
Sage have now announced that the end of life software policy has now been updated to include Sage 200 Extra Online. The main points to note are as follows:
- Sage will support the latest version of Sage 200 Extra Online and the two previous releases.
- Support on previous versions will apply to the latest available Service Pack only.
- This process begins next year when Sage 200 Extra Online 2017 is released.
- At that time, support will also cover versions 2015 and 2016 of the software.
- Support will be withdrawn for Sage 200 Extra Online 2013 (including 2013 R2) when Sage 200 Extra Online 2017 is released.
As this part of the policy relates to product releases, there is no set timescale for when a version of Sage 200 Extra Online will no longer be supported. Each time a new release arrives, the oldest supported version of Sage 200 Extra Online will no longer be supported and customers must upgrade where necessary.
Why are Sage making this change?
Upgrading Sage 200 Extra Online sites often takes far less time than Sage 200 Extra as the upgrade is performed via the SEOS platform, especially when no add-ons are installed in System Administration. There are also no changes required to any hardware.
Recent mandatory changes to Microsoft Azure SDK incurred significant testing overheads for the Product Delivery Team. With more versions of the software to support, this reduces Sage’s capacity for adding value to the Sage 200 portfolio. The new policy for Sage 200 Extra Online will help Sage to focus further on this instead.